trying to crowdfund grad school
I'll be cleaning this up over the weeks to come, but in addition to looking for standard funding sources, I'm opening the tip jar.
I'm a math grad student, persistently cashflow-negative, trying to hold up the finances through my masters thesis before I can get into a phd (hence paid) position.
I plan to be more vocal with what I do, and contribute in other ways, but... Patronage of the sciences is a thing, right?
I have no #progress. I aim to recover to the point of putting things back in order to begin having progress. This counts.
#progress this week:
- feelers out for non-academia jobs, looking into some options.
- I think I might have attended #tmwyf? Hard to recall.
- got org-roam working. This is still not an adequate notes setup. I know people with working systems but have not been able to understand their configs yet...
- watch repair, parts are in but I await glue.
- too much health and family health going on for me to expect better of myself.
- almost finished watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyhqUFmueLs
We launched a new group to promote the translation of the scientific literature https://variable-variability.blogspot.com/2021/05/launched-new-group-translations-scientific-literature.html
Why does a barely literature climatologist start an initiative to translate more scientific articles? 😎
I will repeat this toot, but for 2021.... we ain't over this pandemic yet. Even if you're lucky enough to live somewhere with readily available vaccinations, many others won't be, so don't put them at risk by incentivising travel to F2F conferences. https://scholar.social/@yoyehudi/104365437732146313
Metallic ink on black art paper
Available now at https://shop.andymakes.com/
Took a few tries to get the ink to distribute cleanly but I've very happy with how it came out.
I need a job. While I'm applying to PhD positions, I can't wait around for that.
Nothing makes the reality that I have to do this hit hard quite like paying out 10k of bills...
Recent M.Sc. in Mathematics (Number Theory). I can do mathematics, software engineering, etc. I write English passably, and can limp by in German.
Goettingen or remote... I'll move if I must but it'd be a heavy burden at this point. USA citizen in Germany, Czech citizenship in the works but not yet in the bag. This is 2021, surely remote is possible.
Temporary or freelance work also a possibility.
Cantor's diagonal argument for non-denumerability boils down to "Every function from the natural numbers to the reals fails to be surjective."
Is there an equally lovely but underappreciated argument that does "Every function from the real numbers to the natural numbers fails to be injective?" If not, why is that direction more difficult?
h/t to @bgcarlisle for dropping the word of the decade, "techbrorobourous", portmanteaus don't get any better than this my friends
• https://mastodon.utwente.nl/about @utwente #UTwente, #Netherlands
• https://metu.life/about/ @Tuan #Metu, #Turkey
• https://mastodon.mit.edu/about @maxj @dukhovni #MIT, #USA
• https://mastodon.ocf.berkeley.edu/about @staff UC #Berkeley, USA
#progress this week:
- been sick, so any progress is good progress, and so is no progress.
- finished and sent off the #phd application.
- half cleared the backlog of tasks (bills, dishes) I couldn't think about while working on it, but fell asleep.
- attempted to attend #TMWYF, but fell asleep.
- meant to send an email, but fell asleep.
Me: "look, our historians, at least the professional ones, are highly empirical"
Also me: "no, no, wait, just don't take 'university position' as equivalent to 'professional historian', half of the pros don't have positions. Some don't even have degrees. And in the actual universities we sometimes get people who think Sanskrit came from Ukraine. We're very sorry about this."
Several years ago, I figured out that it is possible to make *cast* records, using a quick setting resin.
These cast records, when they work, sound just as good as the originals.
"When they work" is important, because they almost never work.
I know why they weren't working, and it's a whole combination of reasons, but 100% of those reasons will be addressed at the Maker Space.
It's not a perfect process, even now. It takes 20 minutes or more per disk, but it works.
Heathen cyborg mathematician. No gluten. (Mathematician aspect)
Assume the hypotenuse :boardwrite:,
not the contusion :headdesk:.
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!