Apparently different words with different meanings originated from the Latin word “praevaricari” (“walk crookedly”):
• “prevaricare” in Italian, which means “transgress”
• “prevaricar” in Spanish and Catalan and “prévariquer” in French, which mean “neglect one's duty”
• “prevaricate” in English, which means “speak or act evasively”
At least I'm glad to have learned that these are all false friends before stumbling upon them accidentally
Thanks for your photos, everyone!
I made the same request on twitter and got even more photos. If you'd like to see them, the thread is at https://twitter.com/christianp/status/1344003979076923392
I think it worked! The release notes are at https://github.com/tootsuite/mastodon/releases/tag/v3.3.0
#Introduction Hello everyone! Here's some of my jams:
- #programming: Rust, Python, Clojure, API design, free software, Linux;
- #physics: mostly quantum information / quantum computing, at a very basic undergrad level;
- #music: metal, electronic, jazz, experimental, pop, noise, you name it;
- #politics: the leftsy, greener kind.
I used to run a Mastodon instance, but a catastrophic issue with the domain ended that one. Looking forward to a fresh start!
Weird: the #python datetime library can make a datetime for 1st January 1AD, but can't produce its unix timestamp:
ValueError: year 0 is out of range
Mathematician, koala fan, mathstodon.xyz admin,
⅓ of https://aperiodical.com. He/him
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!