You know Mastodon is getting popular when people spend the time to register multitudes of spam bots. Here’s hoping @Gargron and others build in tools to help admins control these at scale.
1) I've just suspended a few dozen spam accounts created in the last 24 hours. How annoying! Registration is now closed, until I come up with a better way of stopping them. Any mathstodon user can invite people to join using the form in the preferences page: https://mathstodon.xyz/invites
2) I've updated the server to Mastodon v2.4.0. Release notes at https://github.com/tootsuite/mastodon/releases/tag/v2.4.0
Some fun features, including four free-text fields you can show on your profile.
#Mastodon v2.4.0 is 🎉 finally out! 🎉
The changelog is long, but here are some highlights:
- Better offline support
- DMs column
- New profile options
- Hide who you follow if you want
- 120% better report UI for mods
- High contrast theme
- Web Push API opened up to app developers! Easy push notifications possible in all apps now
- Performance improvements
- Various fixes and improvements 😋
Trying to remember the name of someone in the uni that I want to email.
She has a very common first name, and I can't remember her surname: will be hard to pin down.
Oh! She was in computer science. A search in the school of CS for her first name produced one hit.
In other news, I spent this afternoon in a meeting of our Athena SWAN self-assessment team.
@ColinTheMathmo have you announced the dates for this year's big MathsJam?
I bought a couple more of these, because I reckon they'll be good juggling balls. The tag says they're called "Tangle Ball" and has the address www.keycraft.eu on it.
That page contains this rather stark message:
"The Science of Impulse
How can you turn low value into high profit?
Keycraft's Science of Impulse explains how. Click the link to find out more."
Like, they were next to the till, so I get that's what they're for, but imagine working in that industry! How soul-crushing!
(Dodecahedron of sticky notes!)
Free posters on the do's and don'ts of designing for accessibility https://accessibility.blog.gov.uk/2016/09/02/dos-and-donts-on-designing-for-accessibility/ #accessibility #a11y #oer #onlinelearning See also https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/accessibility/blog/2018/05/08/how-to-fix-and-prevent-accessibility-issues-in-your-canvas-course
Mathematician, koala fan, mathstodon.xyz admin,
⅓ of https://aperiodical.com
A Mastodon instance for maths people. The kind of people who make \(\pi z^2 \times a\) jokes.
\) for inline LaTeX, and
\] for display mode.